Saturday, February 11, 2006

Oy....

Even though I've stopped posting entirely on the FSM Message Boards, I still check in there now and again to see what's new -- it's a pretty decent resource for finding out about new film music releases and the like. But lo and behold, the Objectivist weirdo is at it again. One of these days I'm going to actually take the trouble to deconstruct his unimaginably goofy essays, but for now I note that on his thread, someone mentions the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle. Our Hero can't seem to wrap his head around the fact that a particle's location and velocity cannot both be measured to precision:

Okay--I think I can address this issue more assuredly now. It sounds to me as though it isn't impossible, metaphysically, to know both a particle's speed and position at the same time; rather, it's just not possible, as of yet, for us to know both simultaneously because we haven't been able to invent equipment which makes that possible.


I'm keeping an eye on this thread -- watching a guy who is so infinitely certain of his own objectivity grapple with the idea of uncertainty being hardwired into the quantum level of our universe might just turn out to be comedy gold!

No comments: