Sunday, May 07, 2006

Perspective, again

I only read Snopes.com about once a month these days, as that's about as often as I need to do so in order to catch up with them. (Not that this is a complaint about Snopes.com; just a statement of how I read them.) So yesterday I was reading along, and I found this item. Putting it succinctly, it turns out that as of at least a short time ago, the grave of Casey Sheehan -- the son of now-famous anti-war activist Cindy Sheehan -- was unmarked, even though Casey Sheehan has been dead for quite some time now. And yes, lots of folks are trumpeting this as some sort of indictment of Cindy Sheehan.

Well, I'm not the biggest fan of Cindy Sheehan around, but let me say this: if you're going to tag her as a bad mother or bad person because she hasn't put a stone on her son's grave, then you'd best tag me as well, for the exact same reason.

There is no stone yet on Little Quinn's grave. Sure, a stone is expensive, but we could come up with the money if we considered it to be an essential thing right now, and frankly, it's just not that big a priority with us. We know where he is, and more importantly, we know where he isn't. The carved stone is just window dressing. It is, by far, the least important part of the whole death thing, and the lack of a stone on Casey Sheehan's grave says far less about Cindy Sheehan than the trumpeting of that lack of a stone says about those who would demonize her for any reason they can find.

No comments: