Sunday, October 08, 2006

Feel your mind expand!

I've never tried to use one of those embedded YouTube thingies in this space, but hey, why not give it a shot? Somewhere in the last day or so I saw the classic educational movie Powers of Ten mentioned, and I said to myself, "I'll bet that's on YouTube!"

And sure enough, it is:



(Interestingly, the strange, futuristic music for Powers of Ten was composed by film music great Elmer Bernstein.)

Years later, Powers of Ten served as the clear model for one of the best opening sequences of a movie I've ever seen, the first few minutes of Contact. I have a feeling Carl Sagan would have loved this opening (even while picking apart its astronomical license).



And finally, here's another riff on Powers of Ten, courtesy of The Simpsons! This is from one of their opening credits sequences:



Cool....

No comments: