Sunday, March 04, 2007

What kind of life is that?!

Kevin Hosey and his spousal unit Val are good urban types, to judge by the writings on their respective blogs. So apparently they ventured out of their urban comfort zones and out into...the suburbs! All the cars! Streets with multiple lanes! Big box retail! Cookie-cutter restaurants! The horror!

OK, I'm just needling a bit here -- they've never struck me as the obnoxious "City good, suburb bad" kind of people. What got me is something in his opening paragraph:

Val and I ate dinner at Friendly's in Cheektowaga Saturday; we saw a commercial for Friendly's Thursday night, and we started talking about eating there many years ago. We both noted how good their sundaes were and that we hadn't had ice cream in months, so we decided that Saturday would be the day.


Did you notice it? No? Here it is again, with the passage that tripped me up in bold:

Val and I ate dinner at Friendly's in Cheektowaga Saturday; we saw a commercial for Friendly's Thursday night, and we started talking about eating there many years ago. We both noted how good their sundaes were and that we hadn't had ice cream in months, so we decided that Saturday would be the day.


If there's anything I find harder to understand than the impulse to vote Republican, it's the idea that anyone could meaningfully measure the period between instances of consuming ice cream in a unit larger than hours.

(I notice that Kevin didn't mention the service at Friendly's, which in my experience can make the progress of glaciers seem sprightly by comparison. Maybe they've improved in this area? It's been a long time since I've eaten there. They used to have a sundae that consisted of half a Belgian waffle topped with a fairly large scoop of vanilla ice cream, which was then saturated with hot fudge. And I'd better stop writing this post right now, because I think I just heard my pancreas whimpering.)

UPDATE: Contrasting with my light tone here is this blogger's experience with Friendly's. That's astonishing, truly astonishing. I'm glad the guy's kid is OK...and if I'm trying to pour water on my child's burn and someone tells me "Gee, you're making a mess", I'd want to hit the guy as well.

3 comments:

Kevin J. Hosey said...

Val is very susceptible to cold, Jaquandor, so I had some ice cream in December near the Christmas/New Year's week. I love the stuff, but I need to watch my weight, already being just over 200 pounds.

And while current city dwellers in Buffalo, Val and I have lived in both cities and suburbs, both of us in Buffalo/Western New York and Val in Chicago/Illinois and Wisconsin as well. We understand people must find what is best for them in a community.

The service was way better than I can remember it being at Friendly's, almost unsettling.

Anonymous said...

I just posted the details of how Friendly's caused my 10 month old son 2nd degree burns (and their callous treatment of us afterwards) to my blog at:

http://www.jeffsstuff.com/blogs/index.php?blog=2&title=how_pancakes_and_friendly_s_restaurant_c&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Anonymous said...

I just posted the details of how Friendly's caused my 10 month old son 2nd degree burns (and their callous treatment of us afterwards) to my blog at:

How Friendly's injured my infant son