Sunday, May 13, 2007

Tools I want, and tools I don't (and a bleg)

UPDATED BELOW

UPDATED AGAIN

(I'm keeping this post at the top of the blog's main page until Monday; after that, I'll let it slide down and put up new posts on this subject as events warrant. Newer content appears below this post until then.)

In the course of learning various maintenance-related skills at The Day Job, I've learned that it's better to have more tools than fewer. You're pretty limited if all you have is two kinds of screwdrivers, a single size pair of pliers, one hammer, and maybe an allan wrench.

Likewise, as a proto-writer, I've long known that since words are my tools, the more words I know, the more tools I have. However, real life in the last couple of years has forced certain words upon me, words that I suppose are useful but I frankly could have lived long and happy without knowing, tools or no. Such words include G-tube, fundoplication, cerebral palsy. And now the last few days have added some more words and phrases in that unwelcome category: incompetent cervix, premature dilation, viability.

For those wondering where on Earth I've been, the answer is that I've been spending most of my time at The Wife's side as she reclines in a hospital bed where she is confined for the time being. There she rests because right now, only gravity and luck are keeping what we had hoped would be our second healthy child inside her womb. The strangest thing about this scenario is the reversal of the standard hopes: the longer she is in the hospital, the better it is for the child's ultimate chance of survival. The odds we are facing are very long, but we're going to face them anyway. What else is there?

Posting here will be sporadic for the time being. Oddly, this is mainly because I'm not at the computer much; I'm finding that I still have the same amount of stuff to babble about, and just not as much time to babble about it. (Maybe someone should do a study of blogging as psychological defense mechanism.) Also, I again note the reversal of the typical medical hospitalization scenario: we are hoping for as long a hospital stay as possible, as we are some weeks away from "viability" (what an awful word). However, hospital stays are expensive, and if by some miracle we do not lose this child before she comes to full term, The Wife will have endured a hospital stay of four months.

So what I'm saying here is that if anyone out there has any inclination to hit the tip jars in the sidebar -- Amazon or PayPal available -- now would be the time, and it would be greatly appreciated. Believe me, this is not the way I'd wanted to announce to Blogistan that we were expecting; fact is, I didn't want to announce to Blogistan that we were expecting at all. What I wanted to do was post a photo of our new daughter just after her late-September birth. Her name, though, is decided, no matter when she comes. She will be Fiona Quinn.

That is all. Further bulletins will be made as events warrant.

(I will also be keeping this post at the top of the blog for a few days, so any newer content I manage to post will appear beneath this one probably until at least Monday, unless disaster strikes and The Wife is able to come home before then.)

UPDATE 5-11-07: Well, this is a strange kind of update: one in which I have nothing new to report. But in this current version of We Do Stuff the Hard Way at Casa Jaquandor!, having nothing to report is actually desirable. For now, Little Fiona is right where she should be.

Thanks to those who have offered and continue to offer kind words, thoughts, and deeds. All are welcome -- especially the monetary donations, for which I hate to ask but for which I also need to ask. Every little bit helps.

UPDATE II, 5-13-07: Nothing's changed, thank goodness. Fiona still in her gestation chamber. Me going through money like Grant went through Richmond. And so it goes.

Thanks again for the continued well-wishes and the shekels tossed in our direction!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh! I have done several of those same type hospital stints, though thankfully not for as long as your wife is looking at. Still, boring and tedious as they may seem, each hour is another step in the right direction!

If I might suggest: make sure that people in your life are aware of the situation, and aware of how important contact with 'the real world' will be to your dear wife while she is confined!

And all my prayers and good thoughts and positive whatever's left for you and your family and especially little Fiona Quinn!!!

bella

Anonymous said...

Hey, just wanted to send my best wishes for you guys - make sure you take time to look after yourselves as much as possible. There will be a lot of people thinking of you - I hope that helps.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Jaquandor - I'm not really a praying sort of guy, but I definitely hope and wish for everything to turn out well for you and yours. Fiona is a beautiful name. Stay positive...

Laura said...

sidelines.org was a godsend for me when i spent 99 days on complete bedrest while pregnant. i wholeheartedly recommend that you hook your lovely wife up with them.
i love the wee one's name and will be praying for her and mommy.

Anonymous said...

You all are in my thoughts and prayers. God bless...

Anonymous said...

hey, hang in there...if it means anything, as a doc, i know that there are some dire stats, that kept coming back to me as i was stuck on bedrest for 6 mos - but my little guy is just fine. on top of that, i myself was born at 28 weeks and here i am...in other words, the odds are odds, but you and your wife are you and your wife, and little flora is who she is.

good thoughts your way....ina

Anonymous said...

Best wishes my friend,to you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Your wife and baby Fiona will be in my family's thoughts. Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

Best wishes, guys.

Anonymous said...

Good Luck: hope all goes very well.

Erin said...

Oh, Kelly...sending lots of good thoughts your way.

MyMaracas said...

Sending good thoughts and bright wishes to you and your family. Keep us posted, OK?


Vicki

Rob at Kintropy said...

I'm sure this is an agonizing wait for you all. My family is also familiar with g-tube and fundoplication (among other terms), and we are hoping all goes well for you.

LC Scotty said...

Jaq,

Fingers crossed, hoping for the best.

Kevin J. Hosey said...

If Val and my thoughts are any help, we are sending all of the good ones we have to you and your family, Jaquandor.

Anonymous said...

I will keep you, The Wife, The Daughter, and little Fiona Quinn in my prayers. Here's hoping for the best possible outcome. And if The Wife would like any books to read, let me know where I can drop 'em off!

Rebecca, longtime reader

Tal said...

Thanks for sharing. Really, it's got to be SO hard...

I'll be sending good mojo to you and yours.

Best.

Beth said...

*hugs*

I'm keeping all of you in my thoughts.

I'm too aware of the eye gouging boredom of hospital induced bedrest (and does not help that the "cable" at Sisters leaves a lot to be desired).