Monday, August 27, 2007

Sentential Links #109

OK, after a one-week respite from Sentential Links, we have the triumphant return of...Sentential Links.

:: Found out my unborn daughter has Down Syndrome and a surgically correctable congenital heart defect. (Scotty and I exchanged e-mail about this a while back, but I've avoided mentioning it here until he decided to go public, which he now has. Go give him some love. His family's starting a tough journey. This will be their first child. And that's not the only less-than-favorable news he's had lately.)

:: I read some interview with Stockwell - it was recently - and he was asked, "So who taught you about sex?" He said, "I did a movie with Errol Flynn when I was 13. I got quite an education."

:: My mom has always told me that if you hold onto an article of clothing long enough, it will eventually come back into style. (Well, I hope so, because I think I'd look very dashing in a tricorne, and yet they stubbornly remain out of fashion.)

:: We suggested that if he liked that, he might also like his steak better if he dipped in sugar. (Oh, the humanity!)

:: Some fake ears and straight eyebrows are a great disguise. No one will notice you. Bet you can’t tell that that’s really Kirk underneath that disguise.

:: I Think the Monthly Comic Needs to Die! (That's the post title, actually, but it works.)

:: What if David Lynch, director of progressive films such as Eraserhead, Blue Velvet, Twin Peaks, Inland Empire and others had actually directed Return of the Jedi back in 1983? (Huh-whuh?! Link via. Again, I say, Huh-whuh?!)

:: Because my own parents so entirely abdicated involvement in my own life I tend to go overboard in the other direction. It's easy for me to want to rescue too much. It's easy for me to want to FIX every problem the boys have.

:: I'm sure childhood always seems much more innocent while you're going through it, and everyone else's always seems more hollow. Were parents always so fearful, or did they have more faith in people and in the world? And is today's lack of faith justified or paranoid? I just hope that, should the time come that I have my own kids, I don't forget what it was like to be one.

:: The CD, which was 25 years old last Friday changed that forever, and it seems a pity to me. In a funny way the artifact focused your attention on the music, and prevented it from becoming wallpaper. That's how music should be listened to, attentively, and although my iPod shuts out other sound, the experience of recorded music in the 21st Century is more often than not a component of the multitasking that consumes our daily lives. (I never mentioned the anniversary of the compact disc here, but longtime readers know that I adore the CD and will mourn its slide into history. I genuinely feel it's the ideal music format. I'm terribly skittish about relying on purely digital means of music distribution for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the ephemeral nature of the devices themselves. I'm on my third computer in ten years...but I still own the first CD I got, way back in 1988. And that disc is still playable. Who knows if MP3s will be playable in just five years?)

And that'll do it for this week, folks. Be careful out there. It's a hard, cruel world, full of evil and desperation. Walk with love!

(Or walk with a big stick. One of the two will suffice. And if you can walk with love and a big stick, well, the world's your oyster!)

No comments: