Monday, September 17, 2007

Sentential Links #111

AND away we go!!!

:: J.P. Losman is not a good quarterback. Or, to please the Branch Losmanians, he is not playing in a manner in which a good quarterback plays, which leaves room for the myriad of excuses and overly-optimistic yet vague statements of “he’s improving, but the Bills need to do (enter magic bullet excuse here).” (I haven't given up on Losman yet, but too many more days like yesterday and I will, I'm sad to say. Mainly I'm linking this because "Branch Losmanians" is pretty funny.)

:: I double-checked the Constitution, and yes, I remembered correctly: the legislature is discussed in Article I and the executive branch in Article II, suggesting that Congress should have important role in the governance of the country. Guess some folks have forgot.

:: Once in a while - not too often, mind you - once in a while... I like to listen to Bach on the piano. (Shoot me now, Ye Purists: I prefer Bach on the piano. Mainly, because I don't like the sound of the harpsichord, and I've never been convinced that the harpsichord sound is essential to understanding Bach's musical language, which is all about counterpoint.)

:: About once a year the Wicked Witch of the West and her Flying Monkey make a fly-by. (I'm not a big fan of IP-blocking, but then, I don't have any cyber-stalkers, either.)

:: And then it all came back to me. And I realized we'd just spent nearly four hours on a bus driven by someone who both hates noise and has mommy issues. And possibly a few heads in his freezer at home. Awesome.

:: My first memories of what would become a lifelong love affair with musical theater are of, as a toddler, being extremely taken with those "operetta" episodes (or maybe it was one episode repeated) they did of Mr. Rogers Neighborhood. I remember being very excited by them, and by the very basic notion, intrinsic to all musical theater, of people singing to each other instead of talking. (I used to look forward to those episodes too! According to Wikipedia, there were thirteen "opera" episodes. In various film music forums, I often encounter people who insist they can't enjoy musicals because they can't grok people bursting into song. I've never had that problem at all. Now I wonder if that's because of Mr. Rogers.)

:: Al Gore is the only man who’s won an Oscar and now an Emmy and they’re both considered consolation prizes.

...

It’s not fair that producers who have to turn out 22 or 24 hour episodes of drama a year must compete with producers who complete 13 episodes in a year and a half.
(Heh, on both counts. I couldn't decide which to use for the link, so there's both of them. Oh, and Katherine Heigl won for Grey's Anatomy? Ugh! Nothing against Ms. Heigl, who is lovely and all, but I hate her character, and for my money, that show's tone is set by Chandra Wilson as Dr. Bailey.)

All for this week.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, it's impossible to follow that, but since I've already bothered to form the thought: at least Losman will almost certainly perform better than Tarvaris Jackson this year (and probably Huard/Losman, too).

-Mark

Tosy And Cosh said...

Hey! Someone read my super-long Sweeney post! Ditto on the inanity of the statement - film and theater are full of conceits that we as audiences take for granted (people don't "really" talk like they do in Shakespeare plays in real life any more than they "really" sing in real life). Why so many single out musical theater and accept other conceits I'll never know.

Roger Owen Green said...

Hey, are you LOOKING for a cyberstalker? I'm not available, but I'm sure I can hook you up.

I loved the Ken Levine quote.

Thanks for the link.