Wednesday, October 31, 2007

A Halloween Quiz Thing!

Hooray! A Halloween quiz-thing! This one comes courtesy SamuraiFrog and Messrs. Tosy and Cosh.

1. What is your favorite work of horror fiction?

As is my typical form, I can't name a single one. In terms of novels, Steven King's 'Salem's Lot was truly unnerving. I also admire Robert Cormier's Fade, a young-adult novel about a not-so-nice kid who develops the power of invisibility. John Bellairs's Gothic novels for young readers have more than a few unsettling moments; the scariest ones are The Letter, the Witch, and the Ring and The Curse of the Blue Figurine. (By the way, Hollywood, if you're looking for a good author to mine for movies, Bellairs is just sitting there, waiting.)

I've read a lot of horror short fiction as well, and the one story that has stuck in my head for years is Graham Masterton's "The Secret Shih-Tan". It's not supernatural, but it's damned creepy.

2. Who is your favorite monster?

Monsters, eh? Well, let's see -- I'll go with the Flukeman from that episode of The X-Files.

3. What horror movie gives you the most chills?

The Exorcist.

4. Freddy versus Jason?

Freddy. He's an actual character, not an unstoppable doofus in a mask.

5. Ghosts or goblins?

Well, that depends, doesn't it? You can do great things with either, although ghosts tend to be more creepy in an unsettling way than pure goblins. Goblins you know are made-up beasties, but ghosts have that human quality.

6. What is your scariest encounter with the paranormal?

I don't believe I've ever had an encounter with the paranormal, so probably typical stuff like bumps in the night after I've watched a scary movie or teevee show.

7. Do you believe in ghosts?

No, but I'd like to live in a world where they were real.

8. Favorite Halloween costume?

My mother made me an awesome Captain Marvel costume when I was a kid. That thing ruled.

9. If you had an unlimited budget, what would your fantasy costume be for this Halloween?

I'd love to be one of the Riders of Rohan.

10. When was the last time you went trick or treating?

For myself? First grade, I think. After that I preferred to stay in and hand out the candy. We take The Daughter out each year, obviously.

11. What's your favorite Halloween candy?

I'm the only one in the household who likes candy corn. I buy myself a bag every year and grin as The Wife and The Daughter whine about how gross the stuff is.

12. Tell us about a scary nightmare you had.

I genuinely don't remember any scary nightmares, although I do recall going to my grandmother's house in Pittsburgh on overnight stays and being terrified when this awful sound rose up from the basement. Turned out it was the automatic garage door opener; my uncle was a mailman and left for work really early each day.

13. What is your supernatural fear?

I don't have any.

14. What is your creepy-crawlie fear?

I'm not a big fan of insects. Spiders don't bother me, so long as they don't try to board me as a passenger. Large bugs, though, trigger my often-overpowering Squish 'em! instinct.

15. Would you ever stay in a real haunted house overnight?

You mean, a house reputed to be haunted? Sure. I don't believe in the supernatural, as far as houses go.

16. Are you a traditionalist (just a face) Jack O'Lantern carver, or do you get really creative with your pumpkins?

Oh, who the hell knows. Every year we buy a gorgeous, wonderful pumpkin that would make an outstanding Jack O'Lantern, and every year we forget to carve the damned thing until November 1. And sure enough, we did the same thing this year. Pity, because I love the toasted seeds.

17. How much do you decorate your home for Halloween?

We have an apartment, so not much at all. We should. I love that there are Halloween lights these days.

18. Do you think Halloween is too commercial these days?

No, but it bugs me that on Halloween you can't buy Halloween candy anymore because stores have the Christmas stuff up already. Come on, folks.

1 comment:

Tonio Kruger said...

Yes, Robert Cormier's Fade was a good novel. Thanks for giving it a shout-out.

And yes, the rest of your site is nicely done too.