Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Readin'

Time to catch up on some recent reading I've done:

:: As research for a short story I finished drafting a few weeks ago, I read a fascinating book called Stradivari's Genius: Five Violins, One Cello, and Three Centuries of Enduring Perfection by Toby Faber. This is exactly what the title suggests: an examination of the violin making of Antonio Stradivari, the great Cremonese master whose hand produced stringed instruments that have never been surpassed in quality despite the fact that Stradivari died in 1737. I was most interested in the early parts of the book, the ones that deal specifically with violin making and the technical aspects of Stradivari's craft, but the remainder of the book traces five specific Stradivarius instruments through the history of Western music. It is a fascinating survey of classical music history not from the typical point of view of the composers, but from the instruments that play the music.

:: My space opera reading project continues at its stready, if slow, pace. A short while back I read A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs (published in this omnibus). Strictly speaking, this isn't space opera at all, but rather its sister genre, planetary romance. After reading some early space operas months before, I expected the Burroughs work to be enjoyable but generally suffer the same faults of anachronism commonly found by contemporary readers in early SF. I was surprised to find that this was actually not the case, at least to a much lesser degree. Burroughs, it turns out, was a much stronger writer than E.E. "Doc" Smith or Edmund Hamilton, and thus his work seems to fare better in the light of the decades that have passed since he penned these tales. (I say "seems to" because, after all, I've only read the one Burroughs book thus far.) A Princess of Mars turns out to be tremendous fun, a rollicking tale of adventure in which Captain John Carter is mysteriously transported from a cave in Arizona to the plains of Mars, where he falls in with various cultures of beastly beings, engages in fights to the death, discovers tremendous powers and abilities, escapes various dangers, and falls in love with the titular Princess of Mars, Dejah Thoris. Make no mistake: this is one fun book, and you can bet I'll be returning to Barsoom sometime soon. ("Barsoom" being what the natives of Mars call their world.)

Of course, in reading a book like A Princess of Mars, one must suspend disbelief entirely. We now know that Mars holds no ancient civilizations that existed thousands of years before we emerged from the primordial ooze of our own planet, and we likewise now know that there are no canals on the Red Planet. I always find, though, that whether I'm reading Burroughs or a writer like Leigh Brackett, I just don't care if the stories invent their Marses out of whole cloth.

While I was reading this I saw via Jason Bennion that Pixar is developing the Barsoom novels into a possible trilogy of movies. Now having read A Princess of Mars at last, I'm not sure what to make of this. I don't know if the books can, or even should, be filmed as they are. Fiction from the early 20th century tends to be, well, less politically correct, and there were a number of spots in A Princess of Mars where I felt a bit of human, or even male, chauvinism creeping into the story. Additionally, the book contains more than a few scenes that are not suitable for the kinds of audiences at whom Pixar tends to aim its films. We'll see.

:: The Andromeda Stories is a manga that I picked up, assuming it to be space opera, but so far it's more of a mix of planetary romance and science fantasy. No matter; it's actually quite engaging. The story involves a world called Cosmoralia where the crown Prince is about to get married and become King; meanwhile, a strange star appears in Cosmoralia's sky, and then disappears as something strange crashes in a remote part of the planet. Of course, this presages invasion. Subplots include the birth of twins to the new Queen, and the identity of a mysterious female warrior. It's all enjoyable stuff, even if the book's lettering style makes it hard to read at times. I find that with reading manga, it's not the reading right-to-left thing that trips me up, but rather the stylized lettering and the fact that the Japanese sound effects (the "BAM" and "ZOOM" and "KRA-POW!" stuff) are left untranslated. (In the case of the latter, there's not really a way around this that I can see, other than destroying the feel of the panel by removing the Japanese onomatopoeia and replacing it with English.) Anyhow, I'm liking this story and definitely plan to get the next two volumes as they appear, as well as seeking out the earlier To Terra, by the same creative team.

:: Sticking with space opera, I've read a few stories in the anthology The New Space Opera, edited by Gardner Dozois and Jonathan Strahan. So far I'm highly impressed with this antho. The four stories I've read thus far are "Saving Tiamaat" by Gwyneth Jones, "Who's Afraid of Wolf 359" by Ken MacLeod, "The Emperor and the Maula" by Robert Silverberg, and "The Art of War" by Nancy Kress. I enjoyed each of these tales, although I found the Silverberg the finest. There's a lot of fine fiction here, and I'm looking forward to the follow-up volume.

:: Returning to comics, I was in the library and spotted Joss Whedon's name on a graphic novel, so I grabbed it. It's called Fray, and it turns out to be a "Vampire Slayer" story, although one set some indeterminate time in the future from the Buffy TV show, with a new slayer in the lead. Her name is Melaka Fray, and by trade she's a thief who steals antique artifacts for her criminal boss, when she's approached by a demon who informs her of her true heritage as a vampire slayer. There's a new vampire uprising taking place, and it's Melaka's job to destroy it. The main problem is that Melaka has no real sense of her own heritage as a slayer, and little desire to live up to it.

As one who found the few individual episodes of Buffy I ever watched quite entertaining but who never bothered to learn the show's dense mythology in order to really get into the show, I was glad that this graphic novel gives pretty much exactly as much backstory as is needed to understand what's going on. I assume that a lot of this stuff will be old hat to Buffy fans, but for me, it was easy swallowing. The book also boasts a lot of the snappy dialog one expects from Joss Whedon.

All of this, plus Whedon's admission in the foreword that he plans to write more comics, makes me wonder why on Earth no one's decided to do a series of Firefly stories as comics. Talk about a perfect medium for keeping those characters and settings alive!

:: Back to short fiction. As always, The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror offers a huge amount of excellent fiction in books that are worth buying just for the introductory essays on the status of the genres alone. This year's edition features, as always, a large amount of short fiction. Good stories here that I've read so far are "In the House of the Seven Librarians" by Ellen Klages, "Lionflower Hedge" by Ira Sher, and the delightfully twisted "Dog Person" by Scott Nicholson.

:: Some years ago a friend sent me a copy of The Land of Laughs by Jonathan Carroll. Over the course of two or three moves, this book wound up on a back shelf, forgotten until last week when the friend goosed me about it. Thus I read it in just a few days. What a remarkable tale this is! Thomas Abbey is a quiet teacher in a Connecticut school who harbors an intense fascination for the books of childrens author Marshall France, so much so that he wishes to write a biography of the man. Into his life comes a young woman named Saxony Gardner, who shares his fascination with the same author. Together they begin delving into Marshall France's life, eventually traveling to his final hometown of Galen, Missouri where they find that France was...ah, but that would be telling. I'll just note that what starts as a literary love story gradually shifts into horror. Carroll's characters are among the best I've seen in a book; I had that rare feeling of getting to know the people in the story, as opposed to merely watching them. And even though a back cover blurb promised that "the epilogue is a masterpiece of surprise", I was still surprised when I got there. This is a great book.

And that's what I've been up to, reading-wise.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

RE: The Pixar Barsoom movies, I've heard a rumor that these may be considerably more "grown-up" than Pixar's fare to date, possibly even aiming for a PG-13 rating. This would certainly be a major departure for this company and I'll believe it when I see it, but it is an intriguing possibility, and certainly supports the claims that these films will be faithful to the books.

As for the Victorian-era chauvinism and lack of PCness, well, I just assumed these things would be rewritten to better suit our modern mores. Again, we'll see how it goes.

It's been years since I read Burroughs, but as I recall all of his long-running series tended to deteriorate over time. In the case of the Barsoom novels, I remember the first three forming a kind of trilogy and are most likely the best of the series. But, as I said, it's been a long time... glad you enjoyed Princess, in any event.