Monday, February 11, 2008

123

I got tagged with the "123 Meme", which goes thusly:

1. Pick up the nearest book ( of at least 123 pages).
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences.
5. Tag five people.

OK, here we go. As it happens, I have a small bookshelf immediately adjacent the computer table, so I consider every book on that shelf to be the "nearest book". That being the case, I figure I should choose something fairly odd, so here it is: for this meme-thing I'm using The Book of the SubGenius: The Sacred Teachings of J.R. "Bob" Dobbs.



I bought this book years ago, in my "Collecting books on all manner of very weird subjects" phase, a phase which included my purchasing of many books on conspiracy theory and UFOs and the like. (Not that I've ever believed in any such, but it's terribly fun to think about. Kind of like ghosts and stuff in Stephen King novels and X-Files episodes.) I've never read Book of the SubGenius all the way through, but I've thumbed through it on occasion. It's a lot of gonzo fun, and I'm not totally convinced there's not something to it all; surely we could all use more Slack!

But anyway, back to the Meme-thing in progress. Assuming that I start counting with the first full sentence -- i.e., not counting the sentence carried over from the preceding page 122 -- here are the fifth, sixth, seventh, and eighth sentences as they appear in the book:

BE READY.) [Sentence #5 comes in a parenthetical note. -Me]

What we envision for these dark days, when most others are starving, is a healthy feudal system in which all fit male and female SebGeniuses are warrior thug-serfs for "Bob". How can any potential OverMan or ÜberLady entertain teh faitnest hopes of surviving the End Times without "Bob"? Yes, "Bob " will be in Dallas then and you'll want to be where "Bob" is if you want tickets to the Rescue Ships from Planet X... so why not serve under him and his chosen representatives on Earth while you STILL CAN???


Wow. Suddenly I'm wanting to read this thing all the way through. I think the secret answers I've been looking for may have been on my bookshelf the entire time!

And now, to tag people. Hmmmmm...normally I don't tag people, but here are some that might be disposed. Or might not. They're a temperamental bunch.

Erin, Jennifer, SamuraiFrog, (It's not "No Meme Month" on my calendar!), Tosy and Cosh, and Lynn.

And there you have it.

No comments: