Monday, July 14, 2008

Fud

UPDATE: Broken link fixed (thanks, Paul!).


tilapia, originally uploaded by Jaquandor.



As part of my "Less of me in 2008" regimen, I've adopted quite a few healthier eating habits, one of which is leaner protein obtained from more diverse sources. So here are two of my newest loves, in one plate: two filets of tilapia (lightly floured and then pan-sauteed in herbed oil), served atop a bed of Quinoa. I'm really digging Quinoa: its texture is very close to that of couscous (which I adore), with a nuttier flavor that also soaks up sauces very well (like barbecue). Quinoa is also a good source of protein. Yay protein! (No, I'm not on any kind of Atkins diet, but I have upped my protein intake and lowered my carbohydrate intake accordingly.)

On another food note, I've been amused by the existence at Wendy's of a burger called the Baconator, which has two beef patties, two slices of cheese, and six slices of bacon. One of these burgers has 830 calories. Yeah, I want to have one someday. But only under very special circumstances -- such as, say, if I find myself on Death Row and I'm picking my last meal.

But I've despaired of having a Baconator, because a burger of that bacony magnitude can't be washed down with a mere large Coke, right? A burger like that cries out for a beverage also sent from the highest slopes of Mt. Olympus.

Well, such a drink exists. Behold, my friends, the Large Heath Shake from Baskin Robbins.

A large one of these, at 32 oz, contains 2,310 calories. Imagine that: there is a drink in existence at a prominent national chain that has almost three times the calories of the Wendy's Baconator.

That would be a meal to end all meals, wouldn't it? I mean, literally. If I'm ever on Death Row, this is my last meal: a Baconator and a large Heath shake. Of course, if I wanted to do this meal right now, the burger would be pretty easy, since there's a Wendy's a mile down the road. Unfortunately, my nearest Baskin Robbins is...hmmmm, it's only about 4 miles away...and there's another Wendy's right near there....

Gotta go.

8 comments:

Call me Paul said...

Your link to 'Quinoa' actually points back to this article. Fix that will ya. I want to find out more about it.
;)

Becky said...

If a person on death row were to order that burger & shake, perhaps they would be hoping that their heart would seize up right then and there and therefore deprive the executioner of his paycheck.

SAW said...

Article on tilapia:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/07/080708092228.htm

Roger Owen Green said...

Those drinks as a group are far more caloric than you'd think. Dunkin' Donuts' are particularly tricky.

Anonymous said...

That's not the good part. The good part: The lead ingredient in the Large Heat Shake is.....

reduced fat milk.

Hey, its a health drink!

Belladonna said...

you're making me hungry!

Anonymous said...

Baconators are wonderful, wonderful things. Mmmmm.

Anonymous said...

The Baconator reminds me of Hardee's Monster burgers. They were also multiple patty, multiple slices of cheese and lots of bacon with a sauce to match the decadence and artery clogging goodness.
And yes, I did have a few of them back when I could handle them metabolism-wise.
And Jaq, the Baconator is pretty good, however that's about all I had to eat that day.
Chris