Monday, July 14, 2008

Sentential Links #146

Here we go:

:: Add this to the potpourri of border crossing identification options available to people crossing between the US and Canada by land. (This may be right up my family's alley; the only "international travel" we ever do is to drive to Canada on occasion. Obviously if we'd have to get real passports if we were to ever do some real international traveling, but I don't foresee that happening anytime in the foreseeable future, so maybe we'll look into these.)

(BTW, Alan: your commenters are lunatics. When did that happen, anyway? And why are the post titles of WNYMedia blogs displayed using some kind of Flash player thing, thus disabling Firefox's handy-dandy right-click menu? Specifically, its "Copy Link Location" function? That's kinda goofy, if you ask me. Which you didn't. Oh well....)

:: Skipping this particular aspect of traditional schooling (i.e., the preoccupation with and emphasis on looks, teen trends, and the rest) has been good for my wallet, I'll tell you. (The Daughter has never yet become afflicted with the whole "fashion" thing...but I'm sure it's coming, he said with dread....)

:: I AM self-centered. I LOVE writing about myself, and my thoughts. It is WHY I do it. If you don't like that kind of writing, then that is totally cool - but don't get angry at me because I don't sit in a pile of my own outrage every day after reading the New York Times and then blog about it. (Elsewhere in this post Sheila says that she keeps 98% of her life off her blog. I'm not sure how to feel about that, because she's so amazing in the way she writes about that little two percent...but then, many things are better when their mysteries are kept as such, no?)

:: What did the drummer get on his IQ test ? (Ahhh, musician jokes! Sheets full of these were always passed around various rehearsals back in the college days. My favorite was "What's worse than a flute?" New blog found via Lynn, by the way.)

:: Somehow I can’t imagine the Apple design engineers all getting together and saying, “Women won’t date us for some completely unknown reason. What can we do to get back at them?” (I'll bet that's exactly what happened!)

:: Of course, at the other end of the political scale we have the “pro-life” pharmacists who won’t fill birth control prescriptions. It seems to me this is also civil disobedience, since pharmacists are licensed by their states to fill prescriptions. If filling birth control prescriptions violates a pharmacist’s conscience I respect that, but the penalty should be loss of his license and a new career path. Instead, such pharmacists want to keep their jobs and play God with other peoples’ lives.

:: Next time y’all hear from me, I’ll be a Mrs. (Well, we still haven't heard from her, so she must not be a Missus yet, right? No? That's not how that logic works? Oh well...congrats and best of all possible wishes to Erin and Rand. I've not met Rand personally, but Erin sure is a swell person, so that's at least one half of a terrific couple.)

All for this week. Back next week with more. Unless I come to my senses.

2 comments:

Mental multivitamin said...

It delights me whenever M-mv is included in your round-ups. Thank you for the link/nod and thank you for reading M-mv.

Melissa

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder on the flash header files and post titles. It's something I've been meaning to change for months but forgot about. Sometimes a well timed complaint stimulates action...

'tis fixed