Thursday, July 31, 2008

Something for Thursday

For years I thought I hated the Beatles, until I realized that a bunch of songs that I've always loved are actually Beatles songs, and I thus concluded that while I don't care for the Beatles as performers, I think they were brilliant songwriters. I love the Beatles, it turns out. It's just that I love them when somebody else is singing their songs.

Here's my favorite of all Beatles songs, "In My Life", sung by Canadian singer-songwriter Alison Crowe.


Alison Crowe's website is here; I reviewed a couple of her CDs for GMR a while back, here and here. I like Ms. Crowe's work immensely, but I must admit that due to my own tendency to be forgetful about things I discover, I forgot about her -- and I've got an unlistened CD of hers sitting around here somewhere. I've got work to do....

2 comments:

Tosy And Cosh said...

Two good covers here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlhcyWLORes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlhcyWLORes

LC Scotty said...

Here's my attempt at provocation:

"A Hippie that doesn't like the Beatles?!?!one11!!?? Heresy!"

Here endeth the provocation.

Seriously, check out the soundtrack to "I am Sam". It's all Beatles covers, and most are quite good.