Sunday, July 06, 2008

Two hundred thirty two

I took a break from posting, so I didn't have any Fourth of July-related content up here on the day in question, but here are a couple of things:

:: Isaac Asimov on The Star-Spangled Banner. It wasn't what I expected, and it's a good article, even if I still don't care much for the song.

:: I've noted before my deep dislike of Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the USA", but it's the new classic that's heard on each and every one of our patriotic holidays these days, so I just grind my teeth and get through it. It's become a staple in our church, even. And as I've also noted before, it pains me that this song just isn't heard much anymore.

:: From a year and a half ago, Garry Wills on the overuse of the term "Commander in Chief". I couldn't agree more.

:: Anthony Hopkins as John Quincy Adams, delivering a speech at the end of the movie Amistad. (Video and audio links at the site linked.)

:: On a similar note, James Earl Jones speaking as Terrence Mann on the magic of baseball in America, from Field of Dreams.

Happy birthday, America, two days late.

(No Burst of Weirdness this week, by the way. It'll return next week.)

2 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

God Bless the USA in your CHURCH? Heresy! I mean it! The blending of statism and theology is a wicked bew.

Roger Owen Green said...

Brew...