Monday, January 05, 2009

Sentential Links #153

AND we're back with Sentential Links, after a couple of weeks off. Let's get to linkin', shall we?

:: I will predict generally that 2009 will bring Buffalo and WNY more of the same. We will continue to be nostalgic for the good old days - whether they be the 1950s, 1970s, or 1890s - and we will ever forget to discuss and act on ideas that would bring about a better future for this region. We will continue to bitch & moan about the symptoms of a shrinking, economically weak region and forget completely to address the underlying disease. (Wow...I remember Optimistic Alan, back in Aught Five...them's were the days!)

:: He smiled and shook his head. I got into the passing lane and hit the gas. Both of us knowing, there’s no time to lose. (This is my favorite kind of blog post.)

:: It wouldn't be a New Year if I didn't have some drama where my baby is concerned. I'm referring to my Tercel, naturally.

:: And that's what I learned before I knew I had learned it from watching the Three Stooges. (Hmmmm. Aside from the pie fights, I've never much been a fan of the Stooges.)

:: This whole commute thing is wearing me out. But such is life when you live out in the middle of no where.

:: Better that I would have lost on the mental battleground, because then I would have either a new friend gained by an apology or the seed of vengeance planted in my heart and all the fire that grew from it. Instead I've got a dull feeling at the bottom of my stomach. (Ragnell misses her trolls. I rarely get trolls; I had one a few weeks ago who told me my posts are "jejune" before (s)he signed off anonymously. I then deleted the comment. That's about it, in the last year. I need to work harder.)

:: In the same vein, I have also finally figured out what's so very RIGHT with the Electoral College. People say, correctly, that it's undemocratic. EXACTLY! It wasn't designed to be democratic, it was meant to be definitive. (Interesting take. I still hate the Electoral College.)

:: I was surprised to discover that she lived for less than a month. She never crawled, never played, never even smiled. It also struck me at that moment how these little ones who live only a short time continue to be an important part of the lives of their families. (And yet, that's how it is, isn't it?)

All for this week. Back next week!

2 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

I think I want to write more expansively on the Electoral College in my other blog. I'll send you the link if/when I do. I think there's an easy fix that should make most people happy without having to amend the Constitution.
Meanwhile, thanks for this link.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the nice words and link, Jaquandor!

Hope you had a nice holiday season and Happy New Year!

BG