Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Permission to come aboard?

Well, now I officially want to see the damned new Star Trek movie. I still have my misgivings and I'll probably bitch up a storm about it afterwards, but I genuinely want to see it in the theater now.

Over at AICN, there's all kinds of coverage of last night's surprise premiere in Austin, TX. What happened was this: the audience there was supposed to see a preview chunk of footage from the new movie, which would then be followed by a screening of a restored, pristine print of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. Well, instead, they showed ten minutes of Khan and then pretended to have a projection problem, during which Leonard Nimoy came out and asked the audience, "Wouldn't you rather see the new movie?" Audience goes nuts, and the new flick is screened.

Now that's the way to do it, huh?

As for the new movie, here's an interesting and non-spoiler review that is positive, but not gushingly so. But I still want to see the movie...not so much because of Trek, but because, I think, it's four years since Revenge of the Sith. I need a good dose of big screen space opera, and Trek seems to be the only game in town.

No comments: