Tuesday, September 14, 2010

I'll bet the recruiter's job is harder

Seriously, how do you interview people for this job?



Those workers have to climb to the top of a transmission tower that is 1,768 feet high. That's taller than the Sears Tower. The video starts off OK, kinda-sorta scary, but they're inside a somewhat-protective metal structure. And then they reach the top of that, and have to keep going up.

I have very little fear of heights, but this video is making me think, "Oh, hell no!"

And get the banal voiceover narration -- such as when the climber stops and looks around. "It's good to take a look around while you rest!" See, if I'm up there, I'm not taking in scenery. I'm focusing all of my energy on two things, and two things only: not falling, and not voiding my bowels into my pants.

And now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go sit in the corner and quiver for a while.

3 comments:

Kal said...

I have been on this 'anti-high places' kick too after seeing those goobers that climb rocks and sleep on the side of the mountains on these little platforms. High up anywhere is not for me unless I am encased in some pressurized cabin or there is a railing. It's the reason Icarus fell to Earth. We are not meant to be that close to the sun.

Tempo said...

Oh damn, I left my spanner in the truck...
No way man, I was freakin just watching those nutters, no safety line, no parachute, no way!
The tower just kept getting thinner and thinner.
Oh, did I mention? No way!

Roger Owen Green said...

video gone; bummmer