Thursday, October 07, 2010

Something for Thursday

Amongst my many musical discoveries during my college years was the German electronica band Tangerine Dream, which has been around in one form or another -- always fronted by synthesizer genius Edgar Froese -- for over 40 years. That's quite a long time, and TD has been through many shifts in its musical style in that period. Many fans seem to think that the early to mid 1990s represent a low-water mark for TD, but that's the TD music I knew first, and I still return to it fairly often. This lovely track finishes up their album Melrose.

Here's "Cool At Heart".

3 comments:

Call me Paul said...

I have their "Force Majeure" album, and have always enjoyed it. And yet, I have never purchased a second Tangerine Dream record. Don't you find that odd? I find that odd.

M. D. Jackson said...

My favourite TD alumnus is Christopher Franke. I'm a big fan of his soundtrack work for Babylon 5. He also put out an album of music inspired by, of all things, the Perry Rhodan books.

Jason said...

Interesting... All I've ever known of Tangerine Dream was their music from Risky Business. I always thought they were just one of those '80s studio bands who turned up on soundtrack albums and nowhere else.