Sunday, August 07, 2011

Sunday Burst of Weird and AWESOME!

Oddities and Awesome abound!

:: Cracked.com's 5 Biggest Promotional Disasters lists five promotional offers that companies ran that ended up backfiring badly. They left out my favorite, which happened to Pizza Hut back when I was working for them. In 1997,the PH's in the Baltimore area (which I assume to have been franchised) ran a promotion connected with the Baltimore Ravens, in which for every sack the Ravens recorded, they'd knock $1.00 off the price of a large pizza. (This was a few years before the Ravens' defense developed into one of the best defensive units ever.) Well, along came a game against the Philadelphia Eagles, against whom the Ravens racked up nine sacks. Honoring the deal meant that you could get a large pizza from Pizza Hut for under two bucks. They made more than 15000 large pizzas (not sure over how many locations) in a four-hour period, and I assume that many of those were sold for either pennies over cost or at an outright loss. Whoops!

:: I never once thought about how slugs mate in all my life, until yesterday, when PZ Myers posted this video. It's one of the most fascinatingly wonderful things I've ever seen.



:: Astronaut Suicides. Your mileage may vary, but I found this to be a near-perfect blend of black humor and goofball absurdity.

More next week!

2 comments:

??? said...

I never get tired of that slug video...it's a tiny bit gross, but so awesome. David Attenborough is one of my heroes, I grew up with his nature documentaries and the Life... series are all brilliant.

Jenny said...

Slugs. Not just for eating all my seedlings anymore.

Oh, and can I just say...ewwwww...or is that too girly?