Saturday, November 17, 2012

ChikFlix

[A note from The Editor to Saturday Centus folks: I screwed up my link and linked the main page of the blog and not the Centus entry, so just scroll down to the very next post. Or read this one too. It's short!]

SamuraiFrog comments on a list of 'chick flicks' that apparently guys love but refuse to admit watching. How do I measure up to the list? Let's find out!

Mean Girls; The Proposal. I haven't seen either of these. Wouldn't mind seeing either, but just haven't.

The Notebook. Oh, Nicholas Sparks. Yes, I've seen this. And I liked it. I didn't like it as much as some other folks I know, but yeah, it's really not a bad flick, for what it is. (True confession: I've read a not-insignificant number of Sparks's novels, and his semi-autobiography-and-around-the-world-travelogue. If you've ever wondered why it is that somebody in a Sparks book always has to suffer some kind of awful fate, well, read the guy's life story. Sparks is the poster-child for "Just when things were going great, the Grim Reaper showed up".)

Bridget Jones' Diary. I haven't seen this. Again, I think I probably should, since I've heard all kinds of great things about it.

Titanic. SamuraiFrog doesn't like this anymore, but when I watched it not too long ago with The Daughter, I still liked it just fine. I still think the angry backlash against it is a lot of poseur bullshit.

Sweet Home Alabama, Never Been Kissed, Legally Blonde. I've seen none of these, and I can't really say that I want to, either.

Love Actually. This is not only one of my favorite movies ever, it's one of those movies that when I find out somebody doesn't like it, I think a little bit less of them. Not liking this movie is like saying "I think kittens suck" or "F*** puppies". This is one of my favoritist movies ever, and it's part of my Christmas world. Here's where I wrote about it at length. Wonderful, just a great damn movie.

13 Going On 30. Ye Gods, I'm not even sure I've heard of this movie.

So, of ten movies, I haven't even seen seven of them. Makes me wonder why I bothered writing this post at all. Oh well....

3 comments:

Erin said...

Mean Girls, Never Been Kissed, and 13 Going on 30 are all delightful. I own all 3. Legally Blonde is also a lot of fun.

I saw Sweet Home Alabama, and it was cute but forgettable. :)

M. D. Jackson said...

I agree with you about Love, Actually. It's a fabulous film so well written and well made. I wouldn't even characterize it as a chick-flick. It's not a romance movie. It's a light hearted film about the very deep subject of love. It is one of my favorite films of all time.

As for Titanic, that film bothered me. I still think they could have saved the ship if the characters hadn't acted like such idiots. Very unbelievable. Just bad filmmaking.

Roger Owen Green said...

See Mean Girls, at least.