Friday, December 16, 2016

Your Daily Dose of Christmas

I kind of get the vibe of late that this song is not terribly well-liked, but to me it's one of the most beautiful Christmas songs of the last thirty years or so. It's only very tangentially about Christmas -- the lyrics mention that it takes place Christmas Eve, and that's it -- but the song always touches something in me, the sense that comes each Christmas, along with all the joy and hope, of memories of friendships gone and loves lost. Some people get really introspective at their birthdays, but for me, it's always Christmas when I think about roads not taken and whether or not those roads could have been taken at all, of if it even matters.

Anyway, here is Dan Fogelberg's "Same Old Lang Syne". Maybe it's a little cheesy, especially with the tenor sax at the end (a friend of mine called it "the Kenny G part" a couple days ago), but it's a pop song of its time, and there's nothing wrong with that, really.

1 comment:

Jason said...

I love this song. I think what's not very well liked these days is sentimentality and earnestness, both of which this song drips. I think there was also a period when it got played a lot, although I don't hear it much these days unless it's coming from my own iPod.